A blog about beer, food, and other stuff that interests me. Un-ashamedly Brewdog orientated. I am an equity punk. All opinions are my own.

Friday 22 July 2011

EFP11 and Prototype 17

Last night saw the official bar launch of EFP11, and Prototype 17, in Brewdog Aberdeen. I missed the the actual anouncement, as I didn't finish work until 8pm, but apparently there was no great speil, more a case of heres the beer, enjoy.

EFP11 is the beer made by Brewdog shareholders, at the Equity for Punks brewday in May. It's a 7.1% black IPA, dry hopped and aged on oak chips for a while as well. It certainly is black. Initial taste reminded me of old punk, but as it warms slightly in the glass it mellows to a really well balanced IPA. I think it's really good stuff, and its a shame it's only available to Equity Punks, and in Brewdog bars.

Prototype 17 is a 4.9% lager (Brewdog 77 is the base beer) aged in whisky casks with raspberries. Cold and refreshing, the perfect beer for a hot summers day. I really didn't detect any influence from the whisky cask at all, but the raspberries come through really well. Sharp, tart, and fruity. Much more pronounced than the raspberries in Brewdogs Raspberry Wheat beer. Overall it's my 2nd favouite fruit beer. That honour goes to Great Divides Wild Raspberry ale.

My wife Tracy really enjoyed Prototype 17. Perhaps if Molson Coors want to sell more beer to women, they should try making something like this. Then again their accountants won't let them.

James was on good form, but somewhat surprised and appalled to the reaction to the blog post on GBBF. He like me was disappointed with some of the bad language in some comments. Just because you disagree with someones decision is no reason to call them a bunch of C****. Chill out, have a beer. Your argument is more credible if you can make it with out resorting to language like that.

 The new share issue is doing well, and with payday fast approaching they are hoping for a further boost then. He was asking for ideas for what we want to do at the AGM in November. We came up with a good one. I'll let James announce it. All I'm saying is bring your wellies.

On the subject of shares there was a rumour that someone had bought 100 blocks of 4 spending £9500. We argeed that they have bought the privilege of digging out the mash tun and scrubbing the kettle at the next shareholder brewday.

Mikkeller Exotic fruit, went on when the Prototype 17 ran out. A refreshing fruity beer, hints of mango. I don't know if there is actual fruit in this or if it was just done with the hops. Overall a nice enough beer but not his best work.

We also shared a couple of 8 Wired Brewings beers from New Zealand.  Tall Poppy a 7% India Red Ale, and Hop Wired IPA. 7.3% both were really rather good, loads of fruity New Zealand hops.Yet another Danish Gypsy making really good beers.

I finished the night with a Tokyo*, which probably explains why I'm feeling a little rough today.

It's my last day of work for 3 weeks today. Starting my holidays with a visit to all three of Brewdogs bars on Saturday.

If you are feeling flush and want to dig out the mash tun at the next Brewdog shareholder brewday you can buy shares here. http://www.brewdog.com/equityforpunks

No comments:

Post a Comment